Call Today (800) 900-5055
Golf Tips and Tricks for the Aging Golfer | Local Golf Courses
For decades, people have talked about the boomer generation and the impact this group of people would have on society, especially as they aged. Well, having passed the age of 50, the baby boomers have arrived. Age has not defined them, nor has it stopped them from enjoying life to the fullest, including a round of golf. It has, however, created a few challenges for those wanting to enjoy that game of golf.
As you age, you lose flexibility, balance, and strength. These traits are all important if you are to maintain your golf game. Although you cannot turn back the clock and be as flexible as Dustin Johnson or Jason Day, a golf stretching routine will help you get as close as possible. It should be part of every golfer’s bag of tricks, especially the aging golfer. Not only will it increase your power and reduce the risk of injury, it will also enable you to maintain a more consistent swing pattern, which ultimately means a lower handicap! Here are some golf stretching routines for seniors:
There are two types of golf stretching routines that can be used to improve your game. The first type, static stretching, is aimed at increasing your range of motion. These exercises should never be done prior to a round of golf. Static stretching leaves your muscles temporarily weak and fatigued and will negatively affect your game if performed prior to teeing off. Static stretching routines should be saved for the days you will not be teeing off, or they can be performed after you are finished playing for the day.
When performed regularly, static stretching exercises will promote general relaxation to the muscles. Muscle relaxation is important. The more a muscle group is able to relax, the more forcefully its opposing muscle groups can contract, which means more power in every swing.
Most dynamic stretching exercises can be used as part of a warm-up routine just prior to a round of golf. Unlike static stretching exercises, dynamic stretches reduce muscle stiffness and increase flexibility without compromising the power of your swing. Dynamic stretching can also be used during play if you feel yourself stiffening up.
Strengthening Your Golf Grip
Something as simple as strengthening your grip on the club can improve your ball flight. If you deal with stiffness, strengthening your grip can improve your power helping you to draw the ball just a little bit more. Although strengthening your grip is easy, it can be difficult to get used to. If you are right-handed, to strengthen your grip, ever slightly rotate your hands to the right on your club. Left handers would rotate to the left. This slight change will assist you in rotating the clubface through the ball promoting a draw spin.
If you want to discover other relaxing ways to pass the time, contact us . We’ll be happy to steer you towards one of the many opportunities to pursue an exceptional life, including a tour of our independent living communities. See you at the club house!
Retirement Communities Near Golf Courses
Our True Connection Communities are close to local golf courses, giving our residents the perfect opportunity to practice their swing and stay active:
AZ: Verena at Gilbert, Gilbert, Arizona
- Trilogy Golf Club at Power Ranch is located in the southeast Phoenix Valley, five miles from Verena at Gilbert, and offers 18 holes over 6,900 yards.
FL: Verena at Delray, Delray Beach, Florida
- Kings Point Golf & Country Club, located a mile from our Verena at Delray, boasts two 18-hole courses designed by world renowned architect Robert Trent Jones.
- Lakeview Golf Club is Palm Beach County’s premier executive golf course, just two miles from Verena at Delray.
MI: Pine Ridge of Garfield, Clinton Township, Michigan, Pine Ridge of Plumbrook, Sterling Heights, Michigan, Pine Ridge Villas of Shelby, Shelby Township, Michigan
- Plum Brook Golf Club in Sterling Heights is an 18-hole public course noted for its greens and the “the best par 5’s in Macomb County.”
- Rammler Golf Club in Sterling Heights provides a beautiful blend of golf and nature, winding through large hundred-year-old oak trees, mature pines, and the Clinton River.
- Maple Lane Golf Club, located in Sterling Heights, is a 54-hole course that caters to all levels of golfers.
NC: Verena at Bedford Falls, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Paschal Golf Club is a year-round 18-hole golf course located in historic Wake Forest, about seven miles from our Verena at Bedford Falls. The club is home to the course that Arnold Palmer played while attending Wake Forest College.
- Brevofield Golf Links is a family-owned course located in Wake Forest, with a variety of holes for golfers at any skill level and beautiful panoramic views that allow you to see for miles.
OH: Verena at Hilliard, Hilliard, Ohio
- Raymond Memorial Golf Course, located in northwest Columbus just over 5 miles from our Verena at Hilliard, provides an unparalleled golfing experience for golfers of any skill level.
- Heritage Golf Club, just 10 minutes from our community, was established in 1994 in the world famous “Dye” tradition of illusion and deception and includes a beautiful course tailored for golfers of any skill level.
- Wilson Road Golf Course is Columbus, Ohio’s only executive 9 hole golf course that features six par 3’s and three par 4’s, making it a great place to learn or tune up your golf game.
- Golf Club of Dublin is the centerpiece of the Ballantrae neighborhood, featuring enormous greens and fairways generous enough for the casual golfer.
- The Country Club at Muirfield Village offers a beautiful Jack Nicklaus designed course in Dublin that will challenge the serious golfer and offer a pleasant golf experience to the casual player.
PA: Arbour Square of Harleysville, Harleysville, Pennsylvania
- Mainland Golf Course is centrally located in Montgomery County within five miles of Arbour Square and combines affordable golf with outstanding amenities on a beautiful course.
- Lederach Golf Course in Harleysville features an 18-hole course on a naturally undulating terrain of ridges and valleys, creating unique challenges for every player every day.
TX: Verena at Leander, Leander, Texas
- Crystal Falls Golf Club, owned and operated by the City of Leander, is located in picturesque Hill Country with a peaceful atmosphere and abundant wildlife and offers a challenging course over 18 holes.
TX: Parc Place, Bedford, Texas
- Texas Star Golf Course is located in Euless, about three miles from our Parc Place community and is a 275-acre course for golfers of every level, spanning nearly 7,000 yards.
TX: Preston Place, Plano, Texas
- Pecan Hollow Golf Course in Plano has been a longstanding favorite of the metroplex for years, offering a 7,026 yard championship golf course for every level of golfer.
- Ridgeview Ranch Golf Course is located in Plano and features an exceptional design with more than 80 newly renovated and strategically-placed bunkers, several creeks, and gorgeous rock outcroppings.
- Gleneagles Country Club offers a premier golf experience just five minutes from Preston Place, with two pristine 18-hole championship courses for players at every skill level.
TX: Meadowstone Place, Dallas, Texas
- Sherril Park Golf Course in Richardson has consistently received honors from golf professionals, writers and executives for the quality of play, course design and golfer experience.
- Luna Vista Golf Course in Dallas offers an unparalleled golfing experience, challenging golfers of any skill level while providing a relaxing, picturesque backdrop.
- Tenison Park Golf Course is one of the most popular courses in Dallas, with 7,078 yards over two courses, a state-of-the-art practice and teaching facility, and world-class golf shop.
- Steven Park Golf Course is a staple of the Dallas community and has earned recognition as one of the region’s premier golf experiences.
- Our Meadowstone Place offers its very own putting green, which our residents enjoy greatly!
VA: Verena at the Glen, Glen Allen, Virginia
- The Crossings Golf Club in Richmond is just over two miles from our Verena at the Glen and has been deemed a “must play” in the central Virginia area, with an 18-hole championship layout.
VA: Verena at the Reserve, Williamsburg, Virginia
- Golden Horseshoe Golf Club, in colonial Williamsburg, just three miles from our Verena at the Reserve, offers 45 walkable holes over three courses, surrounded by mature woodlands.